Monday, March 1, 2010

Travelin' Pugs

J and I made a spur of the moment trip to Austin this past weekend.

My grandfather {Popi} has been on the mend, and we wanted to see him asap. So, since we didn't have any plans for the weekend, we loaded up the pugs and hit Southbound 35.

I love Austin. I'm so proud to have grown up there, and yet, I don't even know the city that well. {Come on, I was young and, quite frankly, I was a bit nervous of all those one-way streets downtown.} But, since I've gone to college, I really appreciate what Austin has to offer. And, this past weekend, it had family time, good mexican food and gorgeous weather to offer.

And, I say, yes please to all of the above.

On Friday night J and I had plans to meet my friend Kelly for dinner. J has been really jonesin' for some "tacos and beer" at El Arroyo ever since he figured out that that was the line from the Pat Green song. I hadn't been there in a really long time, but it didn't disappoint, as far as mexican food goes. And, the company wasn't so bad either {jk, Kel!}

On Saturday, I ran 5 miles -- in the crazy north Austin hills, I might add {hello, my first half-marathon is this month!} -- and then the whole fam {brother and aunt included} loaded up and made our way up to the hospital to see Popi and then have lunch with my grandmother {Mia}. Popi looked pretty good and I think after this short hospital stay, things might be better -- they got special instructions on dressing his wound, talked with a nutritionist and really figured out what they should be doing/looking out for. Yeah!

That night we planned to go to dinner. It was my job to call Texas Land & Cattle to make reservations, but I got caught up in the tsunami warning for Hawaii and forgot to call until about 4:30, and it turns out they don't take reservations after 4. Whoops!

Everything worked out, and we had a great {and super spicy} dinner!

Although it was a super short stay, I'm really glad that we got down to Austin to see Mia and Popi and my family. And, it was a nice bonus to see Tisa {my aunt}, too!

Unfortunately, I forgot my camera, so no pictures. But, let me tell ya, the weather in Austin was awesome. It was sunny and in the 60s on Saturday -- definitely the kind of weather I'd welcome any day now in Oklahoma.

Anyway, like I said, I'm always glad to spend time in Austin.

Oh, and can you believe it's already March?

Countdown to my birthday: 17 days!!

No comments: