Wednesday, June 9, 2010

tell me are you a Christian child ...

Ma'am I aaam tonight!

Name that song.

Time's up ... Walking in Memphis. And, walking in Memphis is just what J and I might be doing later this summer.

Memphis has always been on our list of places we'd really like to visit and since it's much closer to Oklahoma than we thought {only a 4 or 5 hour drieve!} it might just happen this summer.

A couple of my friends have been several times and their must-sees are as follows:

Ducks at the Peabody Hotel

These ducks have it made -- they walk a red carpet everyday. 



Beale Street

Graceland


Chi Omega National Headquarters 

Those are the high points, and, really, for a weekend-long trip, that's probably all we'll be able to do. Well, that and eat. 

So, speaking of eating, what are some must-eat places? I hear that Gus' has the best fried chicken, but where else should we go? J loves BBQ, so no matter where we go, I'm sure he'll be in BBQ heaven. 

And, now, since I'm jonesin' for a little Marc Cohn, here's the video for Walkin' In Memphis.

3 comments:

meggo said...

My dad took us to see the ducks at the Peabody. So much fun. I love Memphis. Or at least what I've seen of it. Have fun.

Jennie said...

Oh! We went to Memphis when I was little! I always wondered about those ducks! It's amazing they are still quackin' ;)

Jeff & Kristin McClure said...

Not sure if you have made it over to Memphis yet, but if not, here are some suggestions. I live in Little Rock and have been there many, many times. In fact, we were just there 2 weeks ago for Zac Brown concert!

Yes, for sure eat at Gus's. If you are going for lunch, go early so you can get a seat and same for dinner really. It is not a big place and they are not in any hurry, but it is worth the wait!

Rendevous is always the popular tourist spot, BBQ is ok, some like it some say it is fair. The service is really what you are going for, the guys have all been there for years & years and they make it a fun trip.

For places to stay (I work for 2 hotels, so this is my expertise I guess!) the Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown is 1/2 block from Bealle St, best hotel for location to all the dining and nighlife. There is a Doubletree, new Courtyard, SpringHill Suites that are close too.

Memphis is a fun weekend stop, especially if you are doing Graceland and Chi O visit. Have fun and if I can answer any questions, just let me know.

Also, would love to link your blog to mine if you would do the same? Mine is very new and just learning the ins/outs. Please look at www.atouchofarkansas.blogspot.com and let me know if you have any tips or suggestions!

Thanks,
Jeff