Friday, February 11, 2011

sappy but true.

Unless you've been living under a rock, you know that the midwest (Oklahoma included) has been hammered with frigid temps and inches upon inches of snow for the last two weeks.

The latest round of snow and negative wind chills was expected to hit on Tuesday night. Turns out the storm was moving a little slower than the weathermen thought, and the snow started around 3 am Wednesday morning and didn't stop until at least noon the same day. We got 4" of snow, and the temps stayed in the teens all day.

Now, our house is nowhere near well-insulated and, as such, we have to drip our kitchen faucet otherwise it freezes. (See where I'm going with this?) Wednesday morning, in the craziness of getting ready and getting out the door, I forgot to re-drip the faucet after refilling our Brita filter. Not.Good.

That evening we got home and J noticed that the faucet wasn't dripping. He turned the handle to turn on the water ... nothing. Cue my stomach dropping, because I remembered refilling the Brita, but couldn't remember re-dripping the faucet.

Over the next 4 or 4.5 hours, J worked his butt off to get the water flowing agian. My hairdryer probably lost at least 3 months of it's life in the process (a sacrifice I was more than willing to make) and we'll probably be paying our February heating bill in installments for the next 8 months. But, nothing worked. We had to go to bed that night knowing the temps were going to be hovering around 0 degrees and hoping and praying and crossing every extremity that the pipe did not bust.

Sleeping was futile. I was hot and stressed. Not to mention, I had a doctor's appointment Thursday morning. The dreaded glucose test. And, I knew that I was going to have to brave the roads by myself. Boo.

I got to the doctor's office with plenty of time to spare, heard the heartbeat (134 bpm), got my blood drawn and got lots of praise for good work on weight gain from the doctor. Unfortunately, my good doctor's appointment did not translate into good news on unfreezing our faucet.

The plumber got to our house around 9:30 and by the time I got home around 11:30, he still hadn't gotten it thawed out. J said there was a ray of hope at one point when the faucet dripped a little, but then nothing else happened. After more than 2 hours of working on the pipes, the plumber left and we continued trying other remedies.

Maybe 30 or 45 minutes later, J hears the faucet drip ... and then trickle ... and then ... fully flowing!!!!

We had water again! And, needless to say, I have my gameface on when it comes to making sure the faucet is dipping. I do not want to feel that stressed again!

Anyway, around 230 today the doorbell rang and when I answered there was a girl delivering me flowers from J! How sweet is he?? He knew I felt really awful about the whole frozen faucet thing, and even though he'd told me a dozen or more times that it was ok, he knew i needed a little extra reassurance.

I've got a keeper.

No comments: