Sunday, January 17, 2010

HMT: Update

Last Sunday was my 5 mile run. I had run 5 miles on the treadmill {during our coldsnap} and thought there wouldn't be a problem doing it outside.

Oh boy... Turns out I had a problem. I was at probably 4.25 miles and my legs just wouldn't go anymore. I had to stop and walk for a couple minutes. And, even though I walked some, I ended up finishing my 5 miles strong. But, the fact that I had to walk really hit me hard.

If I have to walk when I'm doing a 5 mile run, how am I ever going to be able to finish 13?

I did my training all week {4 on Tuesday, 2 on Wednesday and 4 on Friday} and I knew that I had 6 mile run coming up today.

Well, on Friday for my 4-miler, I tried a little trick I saw on a running website. At about 2.5 or 3 miles, I popped a peppermint in my mouth and I had the.best.run! I was ecstatic! I know four miles isn't really that much, but after being so bummed about my 5 miles on Sunday, this was awesome!

So, today, I had my 6-miler slated.

We went to a {super fun} 30th birthday party last night, and I was a little worried that my 2 glasses of sangria and beer drinking was going to hinder my run.



NOPE!! I ate some energy beans {I tried the fruit punch flavor} about 30 minutes before and put another pack of them in my pocket {along with my trusty peppermint}. Again, when I was around 2.5 miles in, I popped in my peppermint and I really got into a rhythm!

I finished my 6 miles and jogged for another 3-5 minutes!

This is so exciting for me and I really think that I'm on my way to figuring out what will work best for my on my long runs!

No comments: